Saturday, October 4, 2014

Beach Farm Virtue




The beach farm is winding down, and quite frankly, so am I. I've been lucky to visit about once every two weeks. My cover crop of buckwheat has grown, flowered, gone to seed, seeded, and sprouted once again. No harm, but folks are beginning to whisper into cupped hands. I have not planned for garlic, nor an autumn crop of cool weather greens. A volunteer sunflower has appeared, its presence among the tattered buckwheat welcome and self-sustenance a virtue.



Japanese eggplant, preferred by this cook, continue to produce into the cooler days.



They take quite awhile to begin, and then decline slowly toward the freeze.



I've harvested all the tomatoes fit to harvest. 



The bigguns mostly look like this, although, I did get a few worth ripening at home with only cosmetic issues, namely -black spots. We'll eat those this weekend, before Betsy returns to Minnesota on Tuesday.



The fennel is home to several swallowtail pillars. 



And the chard, grown from seed several years old, is still quite good. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

If I do not respond to your comment right away, it is only because I am busy pulling out buckthorn, creeping charlie, and garlic mustard...